Thursday, February 18, 2010

How Much Can I Contribute To My 401k?

In 2009, those under 50 years old can contribute a maximum of $16,500. If you are 50 or older that increases another $5,500 to a total of $22,000.

An equally important question should be "How should I have the money invested within my 401k?" People over the age of 50 who have accumulated a sizeable 401k balance (usually their largest single investable asset) have experienced tremendous volatility. They have lost between 30% and 50% two different times in the last ten years.

Many are looking for ways to protect what they have already saved while not giving up the potential of growth during good market periods. Friends and acquaintances who know I own a Registered Investment Advisory service ask me all the time "How should I have my 401k invested?" My answer is that my answer will change over time. Today the market might require one type of allocation while a down market will require a completely different allocation. If this friend or acquaintance doesn't see me after my allocations have changed, then they may sit on the wrong allocation during a down market and lose as much as everyone else. Because of this, I will only give advice to people who will follow my recommendatins on a regular basis.

It makes sense to be invested during an up market and be in cash during a down market, right? Who wouldn't want their account to always go up? Obviously it isn't that simple. You must develope a system to tell you the probability of what is to occur next. I have been in this industry since 1992 and have found that tracking cycles (waves) in the market makes the most sense. Cycles occur in everything on this earth. The weather works in cycles, tree rings are in cycles, even the Presidential election creates a 4 year cycle. I have software that runs daily checking to see what the long term and intermediate term cycles are in the market and where we are within them. This has been a wonderful way to decrease risk to 401k accounts while not limiting upside potential.

For more information on this process, go to www.eWatch401k.com

No comments: